One of JCC’s most versatile buildings now bears the name of those who established the Ralph C. Sheldon Foundation.
The Arts & Sciences Center, built in 1968, was renamed the Isabella M. and Ralph C. Sheldon Center in honor of the Sheldon Foundation of Jamestown for its long-standing support of capital and programming projects. The foundation awarded a $1.1 million grant in 2017 to renovate and upgrade facilities and equipment for JCC’s music program in the building.
Completion of the $5 million construction project is expected in January 2019. The project includes an additional 3,000 square feet to accommodate new and renovated classroom, studio, rehearsal and performance spaces.
The Sheldon Foundation has contributed nearly $5 million to JCC since the college was established in 1950. The foundation assisted with construction of JCC’s Physical Education Center, Weeks Gallery, Arts & Sciences Center, Science Center, and Carnahan Center and has also contributed to special academic program initiatives.
With grants from the Sheldon Foundation and other sources, the third floor of what is now the Sheldon Center was renovated in 2013 to create a state-of-the-art facility for JCC’s nursing program.
The Sheldon Center was the second building constructed at JCC’s Jamestown Campus. Dedicated as the Science, Engineering, and Fine Arts Center in 1968, the $1.8 million, three-level brick and stone building originally housed classrooms, labs, and a 500-seat auditorium.
Today, the building houses the Science, Mathematics, Engineering and Technology, as well as the Arts, Humanities, and Health Sciences divisions. The office for applied learning and College Connections, JCC’s dual enrollment program for high school students, are also located in Sheldon Center.
The Scharmann Theatre, Weeks Gallery, and Weeks Reception Hall are Sheldon Center venues for events related to the college and community.