Local Boy Scouts have been supported by the Sheldon Foundation over a 50 year span. Since 1987, the Foundation has provided regular support for a wide range of capital grants for Camp Merz near Mayville, NY and the Council Headquarters in Falconer, NY.
The American Red Cross was one of the Sheldon Foundation's earliest grantees, dating back to 1949. Throughout the years, the Foundation has regularly supported its programs. Since the 1990's, the Foundation has funded a number of capital projects for the local Chapter Headquarters.
The Sheldon Foundation has supported the Chautauqua Adult Day Care Centers, Inc. (formerly Jamestown Adult Day Care Center, Inc.) since 1985. It has provided a number of capital grants to help the organization expand and enhance its services.
The Sheldon Foundation has provided support for youth ballet in the Jamestown area since the 1970's when funding supported the Jamestown Civic Ballet Co. The Conservatory Dance Ensemble received funding in the 1980's and 1990's. Since 2003, the Foundation has supported the Chautauqua Regional Youth Ballet. Recent grants have focused on the development of a summer intensive dance program.
Chautauqua Striders, Inc. →
The Sheldon Foundation has provided annual grants for the Lighted Schoolhouse tutoring program since 1988. It has also supported a joint community outreach program with the YMCA since the early 1990's.
The Chautauqua Watershed Conservancy is dedicated to preserving and enhancing the water quality, scenic beauty and ecological health of the lakes, streams, and watersheds of the Chautauqua region. The Sheldon Foundation has supported this organization since 1997, and most recently supported its Watershed Stewardship Program.
The latest of many capital improvement projects funded by the Foundation since 1992. Family Services provides mental health counseling with the goal of strengthening families living in Chautauqua County.
Since 1986, the Sheldon Foundation has provided funding to restore and maintain the museum, housed in the former mansion of Gov. Rueben E. Fenton. A 2007 grant assisted with the expansion of the museum into the adjacent historic William Hall Home.
Girl Scouts of Western NY
The Sheldon Foundation has supported area Girl Scouts since the early 1960s. From 2005-2007, the Foundation granted $200,000 towards capital improvements at Camp Timbercrest. Additional capital grants have been awarded to replace their horse barn and build cabintents.
The Sheldon Foundation has provided program support for youth outreach and music education for the Infinity Program since its beginnings in 2005.
The Sheldon Foundation has supported capital and programmatic needs of the college since it was founded in 1950.
Jamestown Community Learning Council
The Sheldon Foundation has provided annual program support for this collaboration with the Jamestown Public Schools since 1992. Believing that "parents are the first and most important teachers," this agency strives to strengthen the capacity of families to nurture their child's development and establish an effective relationship between home and school.
The Sheldon Foundation has long supported the libraries in Southern Chautauqua County. Since 1989, it has provided the Prendergast Free Library with annual grants to support its lending collection, technology and facility maintenance and improvement needs.
The Jamestown Renaissance Corporation is a not-for-profit organization that came into being to support the implementation of the Urban Design Plan and the Neighborhood Revitalization Plan for the City of Jamestown, NY. The Sheldon Foundation has supported JRC since 2010 and has provided multiple grants supporting its organizational capacity and neighborhood initiatives.
The Sheldon Foundation provides funding to bring this program to our area. Junior Achievement teaches basic principals of economics, capitalism and entrepreneurship to children and youth grades K-12.
The Sheldon Foundation assisted this new not-for-profit organization with capital renovations of the former LS Aero Marina, owned and operated by the Lawson Family for over 90 years in Bemus Point, NY. The newly restored building features historical displays and educational programming to preserve and promote the rich heritage of recreational and commercial boating on Chautauqua Lake.
Starting with its renovation in 1986, the Sheldon Foundation has provided support for capital improvements for this beautifully restored vaudeville-era theater in downtown Jamestown. The Reg Lenna Civic Center merged with The Arts Council of Chautauqua County in 2013 to create the Reg Lenna Center for the Arts.
The Sheldon Foundation provided six separate grants (2001-2006) to support the renovation of this historic mansion housing the Robert H. Jackson Center. In 2013 the Sheldon Foundation awarded a grant to restore the front porch. This organization honors and promotes the values and judicial body of work of one of Jamestown's most famous sons. Supreme Court Justice Jackson is best known for his prosecution of WWII war criminals at Nuremberg and the development of international law.
The Sheldon Foundation has provided significant grants since 1993 to support the capital improvements and maintenance needs of this signature building. The Institute honors and promotes the work of a Jamestown native; world famous artist, naturalist and ornithologist, Roger Tory Peterson.
Since 1949, when it was known as the Jamestown Community Chest, the Sheldon Foundation has regularly contributed to a united fundraising appeal to support local human service agencies. Today, the Sheldon Foundation not only provides generous annual grants to the United Way, but also directly supports many of its member organizations.
Since its founding in 1948, the Sheldon Foundation has provided general support, as well as contributed to every major capital campaign conducted by WCA. In 2007, the Foundation awarded the largest grant in its history, $2.5 million, towards a new Emergency Department. In 2013 the Sheldon Foundation awarded $382,000 towards the purchase of robotic surgical equipment.
The Sheldon Foundation has supported the Jamestown YMCA and Camp Onyahsa since the early 1950s. Support for the YMCA has grown as it has expanded to sites in Lakewood and East Second Street in Jamestown.
YWCA, Jamestown, NY, circa 1950s
The Sheldon Foundation has been a long-time contributor to young women's organizations. Support for the YWCA's facilities in Jamestown and its camp in Lakewood, NY date back to the mid 1960s. The Sheldon Foundation currently provides operating grants for the TEAM program serving teenage mothers and their children.